Bloodbowl Dungeon...my last hurrah of 2022.



A few days ago I managed to nab a little shore leave from the Christmas build up - we're having a big family do here - and get across town to my good mate's house for some gaming. 

C_ has been a god-send for me this year. After leaving Darwin and my regular mates and gaming club - Darwin Tabletop Gamers. I found myself heading south towards my old home town of Canberra, where I tentatively contacted C to sound him out about playing a few games. It had been 10 years or so since we last gamed...a long story & a lot of water has run under that bridge....but I'll go into that another time.

Anyway, C's a truly great bloke, loves a good game, a great player, has an incredible brain for rules but above all else, doesn't take it all too seriously and just enjoys himself. He was all too happy and accommodating this year, and it's been areal pleasure to play a few Fistful of Lead games, a bit of Lion Rampant and lots of Blood Bowl.

So thanks again C!

We played a few games of Blood Bowl Dungeon, and it's tops. I even managed to get some wins in (again...with a few player tips, cheers C). The game provided a satisfying points-scoring moment, and a feel good end to the year for myself.

I had a plan, and it came off. Finally I could see through the tactical matrix of the game.

It's a great feeling when you start to move past remembering the mechanisms of the rules to the point in which you start to see the strategy and the options available. I do love Blood Bowl, but at times the rules chrome and the endless tactical options can be overwhelming.


Given that the Dungeon lay out of the game funnels and channels players, I found that it wasn't as tactically overwhelming as a regular game of Blood Bowl.




The game still had the chaos of a regular Blood Bowl game, but because there were various elements spread out over the dungeon, you could isolate and prioritise elements without getting overwhelming by too many possibilities.  


The addition of the portals adds that spicy element of randomness that means that a teams that might be statistically unbalanced with rules chrome, may have an edge and the ability to pull off a sneaky winning try (or 'touch down' as I suppose you're suppose to call it). A player's team can be-bop around the board, causing a lot of headaches and interesting digressions that add to the narrative of the game.

The randomness of finding the ball - or a bomb - is just pure fun.


Anyway, all the best and a Happy Christmas and safe new year to you all.

Comments

Popular Posts