3 player Fistful of Lead: Robin Hood 2..The Sheriff strikes back.


So we managed to get a three player game of Fistful of Lead: Robin Hood up and running today. We - myself, C_, and S_, all met at Jolt games, set up and got amongst it rather quickly.

We were introducing the game to S_, an experienced gamer but fresh to FFoL. Thankfully the rules are pretty straight forward so once we had outlined the turn sequencing and the the scenario, we were good to go.

The Scenario: The Sheriff and his men were trying to reach a Wealthy Benefactor in order to arrange further loans for their campaign against the Merry Men. 


The Lord was waiting in his luxurious Field Tents outside the village with his bags of money. The merry Men had the job of ambushing and preventing the sheriff's men from getting hold of the cash.

He had two units of Mercenaries to guard him. 


I painted up these Perry War of the Roses Archers & Crossbowmen last night. Last week we decided that to balance out the game there should be a few missile troops for the Sheriff, so I cracked on with painting up something to accomodate. The matte sealant that I had sprayed on them was still a bit sticky by the time I got them to the table today. 

One of those worrying moments in which I begin to realise how addicted to the hobby I've become.


After our toe to toe match up last week, I have to say I had another one of my shockers. I didn't really have a plan, I just threw my men down the road head on. My opening set up was woefully exposed and our new player, S_, charged in with his Mounted Heavy Knights. Much blood was shed to the North of the village.



My archers survived the first charge and even took out a knight or two in the melee..but couldn't withstand the carnage.

I moved my other unit of Merry Men to try to outflank the Sheriff's Knights and light infantry, but came up a cropper too. There was a lot of casualties on both sides but the Heavy Knights, with the armour saves, were pretty resilient (unlike last week...where frankly..I had a bit of luck on my side).

Today those knights were mounted - and they were brutal - but the Sheriff's Light Infantry died a pretty gruesome death. The one melee between the two opposing light troops wiped me out, and almost all of these guys in one combat!

Poor Old Robin got waffle stomped by C_s mercenary unit as well by this stage. He had shot of a few arrows to some effect, but he too was woefully exposed and had no support. Those mercenaries just brutalised him on their first combat roll. I tried to play two re-roll cards to try to save him, but the luck wasn't with me at all today, and Robin was killed off pretty quickly. 

Here he is trying to slink away behind this building, not long for this world... hahaha



There's not much else to say really. I had one of my shockers and the game only lasted to Turn 5. I had positioned my set up badly, I'd rushed head long into some fierce combat, and had a spot of bad luck as well, but mostly I hadn't really had a plan...at all.


Still, it was a good fun, quick, light game and there were plenty of laughs...especially when the portly Friar got stuck into the Sheriff and his remaining Knights. As C_ pointed out, if somehow the Friar had of killed the Sheriff, I would have won the scenario...The Sheriff took a few blows, but nothing to kill him off.

Truth be told, I wasn't really thinking that far ahead.


In any case it was not to be!!! Poor old Friar tuck got slayed.

The game went down really well with our new player, and there's talk about a rematch soon.

All the best.









 






Comments

Ben Cato said…
Hi Dash, that is a great looking game. And you plan is one of my favourite ones. "Charge in and roll 6's" 😁
Anonymous said…
Thanks Ben, truth be told I've had a shocker of a weekend...

Rolling low, losing games...and today I got injured and sidelined at my football match in the first two minutes and spent the rest of the game off...am currently nursing a F*&ked knee and a possible fractured heel...

No glory at all to speak of this weekend!! hahahahahahahha

Blogger has randomly changed everything here and safari won't recognise it so now I've logged in on another computer to reply. I'm sitting here fuming away...

All the Best, Slap-Dash.

Hopefully all my whingeing and carry on will have quietened down after today...

As for the game...we introduced a new player and he really liked the system, so we'll play again.
Stew said…
That’s a good scenario idea and we’ll keeping with the Robinhood theme. The troops and tables look good and the sticky varnish doesn’t show in the photos. 😀

Feel better soon.
Anonymous said…
Cheers Stew, my mate came up with the idea. The 'Lord' character had a bunch of rallying traits that enabled him to heal wounds/revive characters. In the FFoL bigger battles rules that meant he could pretty much bring a figure back from the dead..so at one stage poor old Robin Hood was fighting 'zombies' as well as mercenaries...we justified it by saying that the lord dangled some extra nobles about to rouse some other sleeping mercenaries into action...

It was fun nonetheless, you can't really take FFoL too 'seriously' or it'll do your head in...it's not a system for those serious type of gamers...

BtW, as for my knee..and foot..currently it's fistful of ibruprofen for me...I'm feeling my age this morning...AFL is definitely a young blokes game.

Popular Posts