Teaching my students Fistful of Lead


One of the many, many reasons I moved back to Canberra was to get bit of work/life balance back in my life, especially after years up in the tropics working long hours, away from my family for lengthy periods...

I'm a High School teacher by profession, and it's a profession I left a number of years ago to pursue other things. On my return to Canberra I found teaching work fairly easy, due to the fact that there's a huge shortfall of experienced teachers in the sector. It's a tough & challenging job, but I am am enjoying it at the moment.

We run a popular lunchtime D&D club at my school, and I'm one of the teachers overseeing it. It's incredibly popular, with well over 50 kids coming up to the classrooms, rolling their D20s and doing their thing.

A good opportunity to run a lightning quick introduction to Fistful of Lead for a few of my Year 7 students. There were two of my students that were a bit curious about wargaming, so I told them to come along and bring a mate.


I decided Fistful of Lead would be the perfect introduction. It's scalable, easy to learn to teach, and great for larger multiplayer games. I brought my old green cloth, a box of terrain, some counters & dice, and a box of figures. It had to be a quick & simple set up and take down, as time was limited.

It was a four-player game, the four students would duke it out while I adjudicated. It was very stripped down, bare-bones style game, as we only had our 40 minutes lunchtime to play. 

To summarise:

*Each player had two figures - no special weapons, just shooting & hand to hand combat
*Card draws for player activation as per usual, but only vanilla - no special cards because I just didn't have the time to explain every single rule
* Move ranges with the tape measure
* No shooting ranges - all weapons were in range
*Trees blocked line of sight
*Only light cover for terrain -1 to shoot
*Students roll for wounds, and we kept the critical hit roll
*We used the shock counters & the effects of shock on movement & fire
*We used the stoppage rules, but the players were warned that time was tight, and if a player got a stoppage, they'd be best to run the gauntlet and go toe-to-toe in close combat.


The Scenario.

The Soldiers had to be get to the house first - without dying - and search for the hidden gold. On a D10 roll of 8, they would find the gold and win the game. Of course they could stop, smell the roses, and try and double tap the opposition into oblivion if they wished, but if they got to the house first & found it, they'd win. 

Simple & straight forward.

And would you guess it? A bunch of Year 7 kids... what did they just want to do? slot each other. On almost every activation. 

'I'm gonna shoot at...'


Poor young, H- was the first to drop. A head shot..then a quick turn later, another. Oops, I forgot how brutal Fistful of Lead can be.

It was a teachable moment. 'Use cover, if you've got it.'

The lads were cacking themselves and giving each other heaps of stick, just having a good old time. 


Well the game went on for a few more rounds, with a few more dead & dying. Only two players managed to reach the house. One player searched one his activation, and rolled badly.

Leaving good old B_, the player they'd all ganged up on, blasting away at him, killing off one of his henchmen and giving two wounds on his sole survivor.


B's last card, stand up, search the house, roll a 9!

Then the bell went. 

Perfect timing, off to class.

Of course, they all want to play again, and heaps of students and teachers wandered by to see what all the fuss was about.



 










 

Comments

Stew said…
Good on you to introduce the younger generation. ❤️
Stew said…
That’s meant to be a 😀 and not a ❤️ My thumb missed. We’re not ready for ❤️ Yet…lol😀😀
Ben Cato said…
Fantastic way to introduce new players. And well done getting 4 year 7's to finish in 40 minutes! I bet their teachers were jealous 😊
SLAP DASH said…
Haha no I get it. I try to stay off my iphone when scrolling around forums etc..and I avoid commenting with it. It takes me much much longer to rewrite all of the fudges I've made on the bloody little screen. But yeah, kids don't scare me after all these years of teaching & being a parent. I used to rope in stray players of all ages (mostly curious boardgamers & D&D kids) at my old gaming club in Darwin. Fistful of Lead is a super easy system to introduce new players to miniature gaming.
SLAP DASH said…
Yeah it was a real hoot. There was one young fella that had the old 'Analysis paralysis' going but I just had to nudge him along. That player actually 'got it'...he was thinking about fire & movement, using cover...but 40 mins is such a short session. Maybe next game I can add a bit more nuance & flavour from the rules.
James Fisher said…
Brilliant! It sounds like a really successful class. My wife is a chalkie and I have plans to take a game to her school to engage students in the HASS class (she teaches maths). Trick is to fit with the full curriculum and getting time to arrange it...
Regards, James
p.s. I have 'found' and followed your blog thanks to your comment on Stew's "Terrible Loss of Lead and Wealth"
SLAP DASH said…
Hey there, thanks for stopping by. I just had to strip everything back to the bare basics to get this work in such a short time. Low figure & terrain count, simple rules...even though FFoL is simple enough to start with, but even then I had to simplify the rules a bit further. I'd like to push miniature gaming along at my school if I can garner enough momentum, we do have an activity day at the end of each term, so I can probably plan for a much bigger & proper session with the students. The problem I see with a lot of games is not only the complexity factor..but all the bits & bobs...and you kind of have to accept that kids will probably break & lose stuff...anyway we will see how it goes!
James Fisher said…
That sounds like a wonderful, ambitious plan. I'll look forward to seeing how it comes about (if you can get imprimatur for it).
Yeah, the idea of breaking or losing (souveniring) stuff is a bit of a worry; chiefly the hours of painting or building that went into it. Mind you, the stuff is made to use and if it inspires learning that's a win. If it encourages some in another generation to the hobby, that's fantastic.
If time and flexibility were available, it'd be great to make it part of a project-based learning thing I reckon. So many angles to take, you could bring in every subject: researching the history, making terrain/painting figures, reading/designing maps (working out scales!) writing scenarios/reports...
SLAP DASH said…
The scope for building & refining all sorts of skills is definitely there as you have rightly observed. We have a D&D roleplaying elective at our school for extension writing classes in Yr. 8. The students take on all sorts of writing, mapping, public speaking and designing tasks within the framework of role-playing games. There are so many benefits to the application of gaming in the class room. We could go on & on...and we haven't mentioned the strategic & higher order thinking skills that kids apply when they're playing more sophisticated games. At some point I would like to create some stickers wooden block style units to use with To The Strongest! I think that system is easy enough for a kid to learn quickly, but just hums along with tactical choices. Plus the students would really get a kick out of the card play.

Popular Posts