Painting 28s. A 2nd Fistful of Lead Lunchtime game.


The Siren Song of all my 1/72 boxes is calling me, but for the past two weeks I've been very slowly working my way through some 28mm Perry metals and plastic figures.

These figures were gifted to me recently, and aside from the assembly process - possibly the only thing about the hobby that I have to muster my enthusiasm for - I'm steadily punching through them. Not quite as quickly as I'd like to add. I've been quite busy with all of my lifes' other entanglements - children, work, the odd bit of band practice, parent-teacher interviews and a very nasty bit of food poisoning thrown in there as well. That wrote me off for three days.


I don't really have a big plan to build a huge 28mm War of the Roses Army. I have about 20 odd figures left to paint. I intend to finish this lot of figures and use them for Fistful of Lead (Bigger Battles) where I can slot them up against my Robin Hood figures as well as a bunch of fantasy figures I have floating around.


The figures are just splendid to paint, and I can see the attraction of this scale. However, my heart belongs to my first love, 1/72... and I'm itching to get back to adding to my larger painted collection of medieval figures.

Yesterday I did manage to facilitate a 4 player Fistful of Lead game for my students in their lunch break. I had a few different students this week, so the word must be getting around. It was similar GIs vs Germans quick-fire tactical scenario, although I scaled it up slightly this week. Each player had a small three-man section.


Using the 'Bigger Battles' rules, a wound result on the chart meant that one of a player's figures had died, with the resulting figure removal. By keeping the scenario simple - one section of Germans held the objective, but the other had to come and reinforce - there was a little tension and possibility in the game that simply a static defence.  

It was a quick & dirty game, the GIs had to assault the farmhouse, but I have to say tactual prowess is not in the average 13 year old playbook. It's shoot, scoot and die.

And die they did.


The two American players tried to use cover and bounding fire, but were too often caught in the open. The GI players ended up losing the encounter. The idea of suppression is something that I will encourage with the players when we have a longer session. There isn't simply enough time for tactical nuance in a 40 min set-it-up-kncok-em-down game.

It was fast and brutal though, and the Germans only had two figure left at the end of the session.

Still the kids had a another great little session and most importantly, weren't glued to their phones and were interacting for the duration. One kid said:

'This is so much fun. Heaps better than RISK'.

Don't get me wrong, I love Axis & Allies, RISK and all sort of things...but something like FFoL is much more interactive, quick & immediate for these screen addicted kids.

They really like the confrontational aspect of these games, and don't mind player elimination at all, in fact, all they want to do is slot each other.

True blue Aussie kids. 

All the best.


 









 

Comments

Ben Cato said…
Great fun for the kids and well done spending your lunch time running it. Teachers in Australia do far too much for too little.
I think that FFoL seems very COD game like so the kids would be pretty cool with being shot. Having three figures gets them some "respawning" so they are not out of the game straight away.
Listening to my son trying to get his online team to work together is often hilarious. Maybe that is the way to add an extra player, as a Lieutenant to tell them to work together. Probably won't work but would be funny. 😊
Stew said…
Good looking WoTR and they will suit well for Robinhood I think. Robin will need lots of no name thugs to shoot with arrows. 😀
Glad the lunch hour games are proving to be a hit so far. You’re laying the ground work for our future players. 😀
SLAP DASH said…
Yeah I reckon the games might need a bit of a COD 'respawning point'...heaven knows these players die enough!
SLAP DASH said…
There's a few lightly armed 'Yeoman' figures in the set so far. Not quite enough to balance it out but give me a week or two I should have enough. You're spot on though..I do need loads of 'Goons-Hired-Goons' for the Sheriff's team. It's writing up the scenario that's going to be a little trickier. The good thing about FFoL is you can pretty much make up anything, but balancing it out for a good game is where the true art comes into it.
James Fisher said…
Your games with the students look and sound fabulous. Hearing them say things like 'better than Risk' and especially out-competing devices is a huge win!

The figures look tops too.

I am with you 100%; assembling figures is the pits. I don't mind building a model plane, boat or whatever, but figures should come straight out of the box. While it allows for some front-on poses, I even find the loose arms and things of some of the Zvezda figs a bit frustrating. Strange really, as I don't mind doing conversions (but, of course, that is not every figure....). I have seen those Perry's and the assembly does not look appealing at all. Just as well I don't indulge in 28 mm!
Regards, James
SLAP DASH said…
We just had our third FFoL game on Friday, using the 'Bigger battles' rules...I gave the GI players some extra figures and a stand of 30 Cal LSW. We had a little 'suppressing fire' tutorial...especially for one kid that keeps on charging in and dying quickly. Of course, there's fun to be had in that...but no body wants to keep on losing quickly. It's funny you mentioned those Zvezda figures...I found them a bit fiddly as well but haven't had any dramas with them once painted up. I find those soft plastic figures are lot more durable than the hard plastic Perry's I've just made up...it's nice to have all the bells and whistles and variations in weaponry and poses with those 28mm figures..but I'm also going in a bit blindly because I don't have the instructions...that's kind of adding to process as well. It's just another layer of 'mental load' that is taxing..I just love getting figures out of the box, spraying up some base coats and cracking on.

Popular Posts