Blood Bowl & Robin Hood...yes that Robin Hood.


More Blood Bowl 7s this Sunday at Jolt Games. 

My Norse vs Ogres. And my mate C- did indeed bring the heavies on to the pitch this game. Three of these big , beautifully painted big-rig units, plus a shedload of Snotlings that could be plucked up or kicked around the field..

Again, it was more of a training session for me, so not a really super competitive game, but more about tactics and sequencing. The sequencing and optimisation in this game burns my brain a little, so it's great when the usually crazy events start happening.


Today I rested my Yeti & Valkyries and gave my Bezerkers a good run. 

They've got some pretty decent stats - good speed, decent agility, strength & armour - but they've got 'Block', 'Frenzy' & 'Jump Up' amongst their skillset. The 'Jump Up' had me interested as it would negate the penalty up of movement factors when those guys were knocked down...and looking at those Ogres...I was pretty sure there would be some good old punch ons about to be called for.


It was a really fun game. With a lot of generous coaching my Norse won 2-1, but to be fair to C, he has a very encyclopaedic grasp of the rules and also manages to see the more chess-like moves much further in advance.

It honestly makes my head spin.

The more I play Blood Bowl, the more I'm starting to become illuminated to the subtle and complex set ups and strategies. There are a few aspects of the sequencing that I'm starting to apply as second nature, such as forming a protective cage around the ball carrier. 



And creating Zones of Control to block & shepherd players on my team.


There was a decent amount biffo to be had for sure, always good fun. 

The Orges were able to be knocked down occasionally by setting up the best assisting zones & manoeuvres, and using 'Blitz' actions to ram into those big rig Ogres. But those Ten-Tonne-Tessie's are so tough to harm when they are Armoured at 10...my two d6s never seemed to roll that high.


I even rolled a short lived special ability for one of my players - an ability to shank an opposition player with a dagger through their armour. A free move, without penalty. Even so, the dice rolls never lived up to the hype.

That's not to say the luck didn't go my way either.

C- tried to kick or throw his Snotlings around a few times, and they too tended to come a cropper...


There were a fair few Snotlings taken off the field with some serious injuries.

Plenty more where these guys came from....

I pulled off some nice little tries - I probably should call them 'touch downs' - scored with that encouragement and coaching along the way.




It was however, the little moments that I savoured, I have to say...nothing too dramatic..but a few little plays that gave me the sense that I was starting to get my head around the game. 

Still I've got a very long way to go, and I'm sure that when the 'gloves are off', C_ is going to expose all my failings. Till then, then.

Other things I've been doing. 

Chipping away at a bunch of Robin Hood & Perry Knight figures in 28mm. 


I picked up these figures at WinterCon the other week. They're lovely figures full of character, and I've been painting them up for use in Fistful of Lead....but also to be used as figures in another game I picked up that weekend.

The Old Avalon Hill 'Legends of Robin Hood' boardgame. 


I picked this old game (well....the 90s are 'old' now aren't they haha) up at the Lifeline Book Fair for 10 bucks...got it home, read the rules. Looked interesting. That night, pushed a few figures around, had a quick game with my son. 

Mate, it's a cracker of a game.

The next day, I went straight to Wintercon and picked up a few of these Slave2Gaming 'Robin Hood' figures. The weird thing about it, was the owner at the S2G stand was a bit shocked cuz he reckon those figures were selling like hot cakes all weekend...and he had no idea why, but he was down to his last few...and sadly..no Little John left.

The best thing is my mate C_, had a bunch spare and gave me some of his Robin Hood figures- as well as some Perry Knights & Archers. He even had Little John.

C-s is just a top bloke. What a dead-set legend.

Looks as though my next big project is going to be a bunch of 28s...I'll have to get track of the progress because it's going to be a lot of work.


All the best.

 










 











 



 




Comments

Ben Cato said…
Very nice paint job on Mr Hood and friends. Mr C sounds like a scholar and a gentleman! Worth a beer or two.
SLAP DASH said…
Yes indeed he's a very good pud as they say. He's also gifted me a bunch of really cool terrain pieces as well. I figure the best way I can pay him back is by finishing the figures and putting on a few games. I'm especially keen to get the Merry Men together for Fistful of Lead Bigger Battles game. There will be 15 Merry Men...and hopefully a bunch of the Sheriff's men as well.
Stew said…
I gotta add your blog to my blog roll so I don’t lag behind like this…
I’ve always heard good things about bloodbowl and again the miniatures look really cool on the field. How many teams do you have?

Those are some cool Robinhood figures too. The setting will make a great skirmish game. 😀
SLAP DASH said…
Hi Stew thanks for the kind words. Blood Blood is a top game, I'd never played it until earlier this year when a mate of mine introduced me., and now I'm hooked on it..I've been a bit leery about GW games because of the cost and the rules creep with those big commercial game sets, but for many reasons BB just clicked. It helped to have someone that A) Has a kind of photographic recall for rules - we hardly ever get bogged down B) Is gifted with tactics C) Has a bunch of painted teams - although I have painted my own team with colours inspired by my local Canberra Raiders Rugby League team. D) Is a good bloke to hang out with...

Popular Posts