28mm Robin Hood (Slave2Gaming) figures painted!!

Ok..so this is Little John from Robin Hood's Merry Old Men. Well, I thought I'd sprinkle some 'salt & pepper' into his locks and beard, and as one can see, he kind of looks like a cross between Santa Claus and a Lumberjack from the wilds of the Yukon. A cranky looking old geezer to be sure, but he does have a big fat staff to wallop folks with...

Not that I'm complaining, because any painted figure is good to go in my book. I'm currently painting up some Perry 'War of the Roses' Infantry as a kind of proxy 'Sheriff of Nottingham' force to go up against these guys...but that will be another post for another day...there are a fair few figures in that bunch and I've only just started. Those Perrys were gifted to me as well as some of these Robin Hood figures so they're going to get painted up and used.

Yeah...'Historical Accuracy'...hmm...with most of figures I try to get it right...but with Robin Hood?? Well... it's not as though I'm going to fling out some my-little-pony figures on the table and call it Robin Hood. The Perry figures probably are a little incongruous but hey...the price was right!! (and they are magnificent figures, I can see why they're popular)...

Another thing...I still have to paint Maid Marion...I'm a bit stuck at the moment on how to present her colour scheme. She's got to be a Medieval Fox..but not 'too' foxy.


These 28mm Robin Hood figures are from Slave2Gaming (https://slave2gaming.com), a retailer run out of Wollongong I believe. The real nice bloke I bought these off reckoned these figures were sculpted by someone in my home town of Canberra would you believe it! 

I reckon they're ace, and I have plenty now thanks to my good mate C_ for donating them to me. When someone gifts stuff like this to me, it's kind of rude not to just go ahead and get the little guys all painted up.

They were base coated black, a bit of a challenge for me, as I usually coat in grey. I found it a bit harder to get the colours to pop out a little, so they're a little darker than I would like...but they are also a bit 'fuller' with the more paint I had to use, so they seem a little more 'lush'.

I really like the old school, toy soldier look of them...although they are, on the whole, slightly shorter than the lean Perry 28mm figures. 

The 'Little John' figure is about the same size as one of the Perry Figures.


I'll be using these figures for some Fistful of Lead games I'm hoping to get up and running soon. I've been raving about FFoL to people here in Canberra, as it was a real hit in Darwin whenever we played it.

Having said that, this will be the first 'Sword & Shield, Bow & Arrow' style game I will have played with FFoL, as we have normally played it with modern soldiers, zombies, aliens... 

I'm pretty sure it's going to be good, slap-em-down-fun. 

I've never had a bad game of FFoL...so all I have to do now is get to it with the Old Mate Sheriff's & his Bad Boys...

All the best.






 

Comments

SLAP DASH said…
Cheers Ben. Hopefully I can get enough of those other figures done so I can round up a few players for a FFoL game.
Stew said…
Looking very cool. Those are some nice Robinhood figures. Yeah there’s no need for strict historical accuracy. Therefore! I say make Marian as foxy as possible. 😀
SLAP DASH said…
Yeah I reckon I'll have to defer to my wife about MM, she's got an eye for gowns & complimentary colours. The thing I've really had to stop & contemplate when approaching all these medieval figures are the colour schemes...they're aren't too many foxy Africa Korp or Russian figures amongst my hundreds of Second World War figures...sometimes I do miss the mindless & simple pleasures of just slapping down olive drab & field gray on a box of 1/72 figures...
SLAP DASH said…
Cheers, thanks for dropping by...

Popular Posts