1/72 Italeri Crusaders. Foot Troops painted!


These 25 Foot troops were finished a week ago. I've been meaning to update my diary, but in the interim, a bunch of people in my family have come down with Covid and as is the case, plans have been disrupted.

The figures are 1/72 Italeri and I've still got the nine cavalry figures to assemble, paint and base. 

I've held off from buying these figures, as the poses do look a little bland on the sprue (Called 'The Knights' here...http://www.plasticsoldierreview.com/Review.aspx?id=196), but once again, they're very pleasing once painted and based.

These figures will be added to my expanding forces for larger scale 100 Years War period games. Although historical purists will probably shit their pants about it, I'm gonna throw them in to bulk up my foot units for both the French and English.

No turning back on my tried and tested button & washer bases. I know they're not to everyone's taste, but I've come too far to change now.


All of my little toys are used for all sorts of games so it'll be Lion Rampant, Dragon Rampant (Human vs Monsters), To The Strongest! (I am itching to play this again soon), and Kings of War (still have to have a proper game of this...fudging around with the kids doesn't really count).


For some reason, I just can't seem to get enough of the period. I just don't know why, I just want to keep painting and collecting in this scale.

I aim to have a proper large scale array of forces on the table...and a castle...there must be a castle, with siege troops.


As you can see I had a few dramas with the red crosses on the white tunics.

Fine detailed painting - in case you've haven't notice already - is not my strength. My eyes aren't that good anymore and I can't quite finesse my hands with the tip of a brush on tiny lines. So I've been experimenting with using Sharpie pens, and those little pens are my go-to for all of the gold and silver guilding on certain items such as shields.

As one can see, I used a red Sharpie on these figures, but when I sprayed my matte varnish, there was a reaction with the red Sharpie ink and the crosses smudged. I tried to fix them up a little, but it only got worse! hahaha

Next time I will used the GW Ardcoat on those sections, before spraying the matte varnish.

Oh well, you live & you learn....and they still look good enough using the ol' three foot rule.






Comments

Ben Cato said…
They look very nice!
SLAP DASH said…
Thanks I'm glad you like them. To be honest, I'm dreading the work on the nine mounted troops as they will require very ornate painting and colours...and I want them to work well with my other quasi-historical 100YW figures as well.

Popular Posts