1/72 MiniArt Swiss Infantry set complete!


This set of 24 Swiss Pikemen came as part of the 'Assault of Medieval Fortress' box set. They took me about three weeks to paint and assemble.

Truth be told, I purchased the 'Assault..' set just to get my hands on these figures. The rest of the box - the castle terrain, the extra figures - were all a bonus. I'll spend the rest of the year chipping away at the contents of the box.

The pikes on these Swiss Infantry models are delicate, and for some, the joining fixtures will be glaringly obvious. 

I'm not too fussed though, it would be ideal to have sturdy, lifelike pikes, but you get what you get, and you don't get upset...as I say to my kids.

A trade-off, and a minor limitation for 1/72 plastics. 

Personally, there are so many positives to these MiniArt sets. They're cheap. I reckon the sculpts are really good, especially once they are painted up. These Swiss pikemen are a bit of an improvement on the French Cavalry set I painted about a year ago, but importantly, all of these Miniart sets provide me with a bit of variety for the period. 

And they are some of the few available in Oz in my favourite scale. 


They look pretty good as a bigger unit. I decided to individually base them to give me a bit of flexibility for Lion Rampant, Kings of War and To the Strongest!

Up close, they've got a bit of character. I tried to give them a little individuality whilst trying to maintain a sense of unit cohesion. 



The two flags are hand painted. Again, I just haven't figured out a way to do those really schmick flags all the British guys do on their figures. There seems to be a bunch of flags and decals to purchase in 15mm and 28mm...but nothing for the good old '72.



Crucially, they *just* fit inside the 'Very Useful Boxes' I've been collecting for all my figures.



For the moment, I think I'm going to take a break from painting and assembling figures. I'd like to organise a couple of games over the next couple of weeks to get some massed battles happening on the tabletop instead.

In fact, I'm kind of stinging for a good, big old game with lots of figures and cards & dice.

We'll see how it all plays out.

All the best.

 



 


Comments

Popular Posts